Baroka FC stun Orlando Pirates to lift TKO trophy

 Baroka FC stun Orlando  Pirates to lift TKO trophy

PORT ELIZABETH, SOUTH AFRICA – DECEMBER 08: Jemondre Dickens of Baroka FC celebrates with his team after scoring a goal during the Telkom Knockout Final match between Baroka FC and Orlando Pirates at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on December 08, 2018 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. (Photo by Michael Sheehan/Gallo Images)

Baroka FC stunned Orlando Pirates 3-2 on penalties following a 2-2 draw in the 2018 Telkom Knockout Cup final at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.

The win saw Bakgaga clinch the Telkom Knockout title and their maiden major cup in the club’s history.

The Buccaneers showed attacking intent in the early stages of the game as they looked to grab an early goal.

The first chance of the game fell for Thembinkosi Lorch following a mistake by the Bakgaga defence in the sixth minute.

The Pirates forward was brilliantly denied by Baroka’s Zimbabwean goalkeeper Elvis Chipezeze, who made a low save.

Baroka’s defence, which was marshaled by experienced defender Thabiso Kutumela, became solid and organised following the mistake.

The Buccaneers were forced to try their luck from distance as Vincent Pule missed the target with two long-range shots.

Pirates suffered a major blow when Marshall Munetsi was given a straight red card after making a dangerous tackle just before halftime.

Baroka then took advantage of their numerical superiority as they took the lead on the strike of halftime.

Jemondre Dickens scored with a fine volley into the far corner to make it 1-0 to Baroka after a goalkeeping error from Pirates shot-stopper Siyabonga Mpontshane.

Baroka were leading 1-0 at the interval in Port Elizabeth.

Pirates came back brimming with confidence following their halftime team team talk with Serbian coach Milutin Sredojevic.

The Soweto giants deservedly leveled matters from a well-taken free-kick 12 minutes into the second half.

Justin Shonga’s free-kick hit the upright and Musa Nyatama reacted quickly to fire home from close range and make it 1-1, much to the delight of the Pirates fans.

Pirates continued to attack in the closing stages of the game, but Chipezeze made two great saves to deny Pule and Shonga.

Chipezeze’s late saves ensured that the game ended in a 1-1 draw in regulation time and extra-time followed.

Baroka were awarded a penalty in the first half of extra-time after Onkabetse Makgantai was fouled inside the box by Mpontshane.

Mduduzi Mdantsane then stepped up and the Baroka captain beat Mpontshane from the spot-kick to make it 2-1 to his side.

Pirates never lost hope as they pushed for the equalising goal and they managed to score in the second half of extra-time.

Lorch netted with a header to make it 2-2 after some great work by Shonga and the goal ensured that the game ended in a 2-2 draw and a penalty shootout followed.

Baroka emerged 3-2 winners on penalties with Pirates attackers Thabiso Kutumela, Lorch and Shonga failing to score from the spot-kick.

Baroka (1) 2 (Dickens 45′, Mdantsane 98′)

Pirates (0) 2 (Nyatama 57′, Lorch 104′)

Baroka won 3-2 on penalties.

Baroka XI: Chipezeze, Mabeba (Makgaka 79′), Makume, Gebhardt, Mdantsane, Sodi (Nkausu 104′), Mosele, Chawaphiwa, Semenya, Dickens (Makgantai69′), Sibiya.

Pirates XI: Mpontshane, Jele, Munetsi, Mbekile(Qalinge 102′), Maela, Nyatama, Mlambo, Pule (Mako88′), Lorch, Shonga, Mulenga (Kutumela 102′)/Backpage TXT.

The Independent Observer

John Sakala is a Journalist yearning for independent journalism

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.