By ALICE NACHILEMBE
Nine people of Chipita Ward in Mwansabombwe have escaped death after the house they were sleeping in was allegedly set ablaze by unknown people.
Juliana Chipili 73, the owner of the house explained that her eight grandchildren and herself were sleeping when thick choking smoke woke them up, after their grass thatched house was torched from outside.
Ms Chipili narrates that she managed to rush out of the house with all her eight dependants, leaving household goods burning.
She laments that the fire destroyed all her household property, including mattresses, clothes, chairs, bags of mealie meal and fertilizer.
She has since asked for well wishers to assist her to fend for her family, after this loss.
And Mwansabombwe Town Council Chairperson Terrion Chungu has called on the police command in the district to intensify police patrols in order to curb some illicit and regrettible activities.
Mr Chungu was speaking after he visited the affected family to assess the amount of damage caused by the inferno.
He also used the opportunity to further appeal to members of the public not to leave braziers and candles on, especially in the night.
The Council Chairperson further donated some assorted items to the troubled family. Among the donated items were mealie meal, sugar and cooking oil.
The Council Chairperson was with the area Councillor Blaston Muonga who echoed Mr Chungu’s remarks of urging the police command to intensify patrols following some security concerns raised in his Ward.
The incident happened on Thursday October 7, 2021, around 22:00hrs.
This is contained in a statement issued by Mwansabombwe Town Council Public Relations Officer (PRO) Glenda Nachinga