By JOHN SAKALA
Mines Minister Richard Musukwa says following the reports of sabotage at Konkola Copper Mines (KCM) a comprehensive assessment has been undertaken and that the situation is under control.
In a media statement Mr Musukwa said the culprits have been arrested and investigations are underway.
“I further wish to inform the nation that Government has stepped up security especially on strategic installations. The smelter is intact and was not damaged in anyway. What was removed are keys to the license software. KCM has duplicate copies of the keys to the licence software which will be used in the anticipated startup of the smelter.
“I am therefore appealing to all the workers to be vigilant and avoid being caught up in the evil vice of stripping our own assets,” he said
And KCM General Manager for Corporate Affairs Eugene Chungu said the Nchanga Smelter had been idle pending availability of concentrates stocks.
Mr Chungu said the KCM has planned to start up the smelter on June 22, 2019.
Regarding the theft of software, he said theft of electronic equipment has not impacted on the status of the Smelter operations at all.
“KCM is committed to enhancing security levels at all its facilities during this transition phase. The theft experienced at the smelter is being investigated and efforts are in place to ensure that all those involved are firmly dealt with to the full extent of the law,” he said.