By NCHIMUNYA MIYOBA
Chapamo Mineral Processing Limited says Government has approved the mine plan submitted to Ministry of Mines and Minerals Development that will enable the firm to continue with operations.
Speaking in an interview in Kitwe, Chapamo Minerals Processing Ltd Director Kelvin Tembo said the association received the approval yesterday October 5, 2018.
He said the move will enable them to continue with works that were halted by the Minister last month.
Mr Tembo said most works such as the insulation of the CCTV and fencing have reached an advanced stage expected to be finalized by the beginning of next week.
He said works on benching to bring the mountain to a level not more than two meters resumed yesterday.
“The exercise will prevent further loss of life when operations start. Preparations have started. Machines are on site working in readiness for the full operations. Works on fencing are expected to finish by tomorrow and CCTV by Monday,” he said.
On June 20, this year, 10 illegal miners popularly known as jerabos died while eight others were left seriously injured after the ground they were quarrying in buried them all alive at this site.