Con court rejects Sangwa’s petition

 Con court rejects Sangwa’s petition

Constitutional lawyer John Sangwa SC speaks when he featured on ‘Frank on Hot’ radio program on Hot FM on January 28, 2020 – Picture by Tenson Mkhala

The Constitutional Court has rejected John Sangwa’s bid to discontinue a matter in which the Legal Resources Foundation Limited sued President Edgar Chagwa Lungu claiming that his nomination papers filed with the Electoral Commission of Zambia to run for President be invalidated.
Sangwa, had on Monday this week filed a Notice to wholly discontinue the Petition.
This was after an identical Petition involving Dr. Sishuwa Sishuwa and Linda Kasonde’s Chapter One Foundation Limited as Petitioners had been filed into Court on Friday last week.
When the matter came up this morning before Constitutional Court Judge M. S. Mulenga, the Court noted that the Notice of Discontinuance had cited a wrong provision of the law and rejected to accept it.
The Notice relied on the Rules of the Supreme Court of England instead of the Constitutional Court Rules of Zambia.
The Court went further to consolidate the two Petitions into one cause. At the same hearing, an application by the Attorney General to join the matter as second Respondent was heard and granted.
The Legal Resources Foundation becomes the First Petitioner, Dr Sishuwa Sishuwa is now the Second Petitioner, Chapter One Foundation is the Third Petitioner while the Attorney General is now the Second Respondent.
The Respondents have been given upto Monday, 31st May, 2021 to file their responses and the matter will be heard by the full Court on either 8th or 9th June, 2021.
Below is the story we published on 24th May, 2021 after a press query to the state counsel:
I HAVE NOT WITHDRAWN THE CASE AGAINST ECL’S ELIGIBLITY-SANGWA
Constitutional Lawyer John Sangwa has refuted the story circulating on social media platforms suggesting that he has filled to withdraw his petition against President Edgar Lungu’s eligibility.
Responding to a press query from Dynamic Analysis Zambia Media and News Agency this afternoon, State counsel Sangwa said the story is not authentic.
Sangwa since revealed that the matter comes up on 26th May,2021 this coming Wednesday.
“It is not true. The matter comes up on Wednesday.” Sangwa said
It was earlier reported that he filed to withdraw his petition against President Edgar Lungu’s eligibility.
And with the current state of affairs, this symply means his actual status will be known on Wednesday. Analysis

Alice Nachilembe

https://tiozambia.com

Alice Nachilembe is a Journalist who yearns for a better country with leaders being accountable to their mandate without oppressing the governed.