Chambishi metals suspends operations,1500 workers left in the cold

 Chambishi metals suspends operations,1500 workers left in the cold

Chambishi Metals Plc has suspended operations indefinitely sending its workers on forced leave.

More than 1500 full time workers face an uncertain future as they have been sent on indefinite leave starting 13 February 2019.

In addition to full time employers, hundreds of part-time, casual workers and contractors have been left in the cold.

Chambishi Metals is involved in the mining, refining and tolling of cobalt and copper.

It is owned by Eurasian Natural Resources Company (“ENRC”) and the Zambian government through ZCCM-IH.

ENRC holds 90% of Chambishi metals while ZCCM-IH holds the remaining 10% shareholding on behalf of the Zambian government.

Chambishi Metals said it has been forced to suspend operations because it has failed to secure materials from its other companies in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Alice Nachilembe

https://tiozambia.com

Alice Nachilembe is a Journalist who yearns for a better country with leaders being accountable to their mandate without oppressing the governed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.