Boy seven dies after being electrocuted in Mtendere

 Boy seven dies after being electrocuted in Mtendere

Esther Katongo

By MAIMBO MWEEMBA
A Seven year old boy has died after he was electrocuted while playing near a makeshift stall where there was a live electricity cable in Mtendere.

Zambia spokesperson Esther Katongo said the incident happened yesterday around 19:00 hours.

“Police received a report of Electrocution alleged to have occurred on 12th September, 2021 around 19:00 hours opposite Mtendere Clinic in which Mariana Mumbi aged 62 of Mtendere reported that her grandchild male juvenile Frederick Mwisa electrocuted whilst playing near a makeshift stall where there was a live electricity cable,” she said.

Ms Katongo said a minimal riot erupted but police quickly moved in and controlled it by dispersing residents that wanted to take advantage of the situation to loot innocent people’s shops using teargas.

Ms Katongo said the body of the deceased is in University Teaching Hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.

She said rioters damaged one shop and stole all second hand pairs of shoes.

“Investigations have been instituted in the matter of the electrocution and also with a view of arresting those who looted the shop, the value of property stolen has not yet been ascertained as the owner of the shop was not available at time of the occurrence,” she said.